Causes of PPH
Fen-Phen Diet Pills among the Causes of PPH
The association between exposure to Fenfluramine (part of the defective diet drug combination Fen-Phen) and PPH is “definite.” There are other causes of PPH as well and genetics may play a role in an estimated 10 percent of all cases of PPH. Hersh & Hersh will discuss your case with you and help evaluate whether or not there is an alternative cause for your condition.
Passionate Representation, Historic Results
Contact Hersh & Hersh: 800-441-5545
Experts have found that many cases of PPH are caused by exposure to toxins. Participants at the 1998 World Symposium on PPH described the likelihood of certain substances causing PAH/PPH:
- Definitive link to PAH: Aminorex (European diet pills), fenfluramine, (part of the defective diet drug Fen-Phen) dexfenfluramine (Redux), and toxic rapeseed oil
- Very likely link: amphetamines, a contamination of some L-tryptophan
- Possible link: methamphetamines, cocaine and chemotherapeutic agents (mitomycin-C, carmustine, etoposide and cyclophosphamide).
- Unlikely to be linked: anti-depressants, birth control pills, estrogen therapy, cigarette smoking.
Diet Pills Substantially Increase Risk
Using the diet pill Fenfluramine for any amount of time puts people at a significant increased risk of developing PPH. Medical studies estimate that those who took Fenfluramine or Pondimin for three months or more are 23 times more likely to develop PPH than those who did not take the drug.
PPH is also associated with a variety of diseases, including:
- Collagen vascular diseases such as scleroderma and lupus
- Congenital heart disease
- Chronic liver disease
- Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)
- Sickle cell disease
- Persistent pulmonary hypertension of the newborn
- Hemorrhagic hereditary telangectasias
- Glycogen storage disease
- Pulmonary venooclussive disease
- Pulmonary capillary hemangiomatosis
If you or someone you love has developed PPH after taking Fen-Phen, please contact an attorney at Hersh & Hersh for legal advice. We are authorities on PPH litigation who stand up for the rights of those injured by Fen-Phen.
From our offices in San Francisco, California, the lawyers of Hersh & Hersh represent PPH victims throughout the nation. The initial consultation is free and you will pay no legal fees unless we win financial compensation in your case.